A Simple Grocery List

Friday, March 6, 2009


I've done this before, but somehow this time its different. The basics are usually eggs and milk, sometimes bread for the freezer. There is always so much to choose from, that its best you don't go when you are hungry and uncontrollable. You should go when you have been satiated from what is divinely presented before you.

...So, I made my list, checked it (I won't say how many) times, and am ready to depart. No one told me I'd have to carry my groceries when I moved to NY. So I got a cart to help. I get there and am excited by the presentation of things. The finely pyramid-like oranges and apples, the garlic thrown in a small basket, surrounded by fallen coverings, and the cilantro, dew covered, from a recent mist of water.

Now the question at hand. Do I grab whatever I'm in the mood for? Do I just plan for my evening meal or do I select things that will last...rice, pasta, oatmeal, sugar, flour? I can always get fresh fruits and veggies each week.

What about ice cream? You gotta have ice cream! :) I'll try a pint this time, don't want to over indulge...

Relationships are just like this. It takes time and meditation to find what you need. Do you want to make a meal or do you want to save for the future? What are healthy choices? Should you listen to what others say in your immediate circles or media outlets? Who makes the decisions, who makes the list, who does the shopping, and are you paying with cash or credit...?

Maybe you'll just buy lunch until you are ready to cook a wholesome meal, or maybe you'll order and have it delivered, that is, if you get the contact information right.

Whatever the case, savor each moment of eating (married) or shopping (single), and realize that the benefits are secrets within each and that you deserve what you decide...so check your list carefully and don't rush into line, you just might forget something you need the most.
_

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true.... some choices are as bad as a pork chop. Nasty and detrimental to your heealth!!!!!!!!!!! Others are just what the doctor order and can even be tasty ;)

amira said...

Subhanallah, beautifully written! "you just might forget something you need the most."
Jazakallahu khairan